Sunday, December 16, 2007

Beer Braised Brisket with Vegetables


What a wonderful Sunday meal. I was going to make dirty rice for dinner but decided to make this brisket instead since I had some time to prepare it. I have to admit that this is only the second time I've made a brisket. I don't know why, it is such a yummy cut of meat when cooked low and slow. I used this Emeril recipe and of course I modified it a bit. Just a bit though, everything about this recipe is delicious. Instead of using a dutch oven I ended up using my very large cast iron skillet. I love this thing, it is just so versatile that I recommend every cook get one. I served the brisket and veggies over egg noodles and spooned the sauce over the sliced meat and veggies.

Braised Brisket
4 slices of bacon, chopped (I used 6 slices)
1 (2-pound) beef brisket
Essence, recipe follows (Pretty close to his essence, but I used cayenne, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, S&P, and dried oregano)
2 large onions, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (not dark)
1 cup beef broth (I ended up using another cup toward the end of cooking)
2 carrots, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
1 boiling potato, cut into (I used 2 medium russetts)
1-inch pieces
1 turnip, cut into 1-inch pieces (omitted, I didn't have any)
Cooked buttered noodles, as accompaniment
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (omitted only because I forgot)
I added 2 sliced celery stalks
Preheat oven to 350
In a Dutch oven, cook bacon in 1 tablespoon water over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pat brisket dry and season with salt, pepper and essence. Brown in bacon fat. Transfer brisket to platter. Add the onions to the Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute more. Add beer, broth, and bacon bits. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Braise the brisket, covered, in the oven for 2 to 3 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and turnips for the last 45 minutes.
Transfer the brisket and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a plate and keep warm, covered. Bring the braising liquid to a boil. Let sauce reduce over high heat until thickened. Season sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Slice the brisket and arrange it and the vegetables with the noodles on a platter. Spoon some of the sauce over the brisket and the vegetables, sprinkle the dish of parsley, and serve the remaining sauce separately.

2 comments:

Kayte said...

looks delicious ally! i have never made brisket, but i've always wanted to. i'll have to save this recipe.

Anonymous said...

I love braised meats and DH lovee beer. we'll have totry this!