Sunday, September 9, 2007

Bean and Barley Soup


Tonight I was in the mood for a hearty soup. Barley was on my mind, so I decided to throw to a bean and barley concoction together. I used the rest of the stock I made (plus 2 cans broth) and it was done in less than an hour.

I just used the beans I had on hand I'm sure many combinations would do.

Bean and Barley Soup
*amounts are approximate*

  • 1 can navy beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 Can light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
  • 4 handfuls brown lentils
  • 5-6 handfuls barley
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach torn
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 2 cloved of garlic minced
  • 7-8 cups of chicken stock or broth
  • 2 slices bacon
  • 1/2 tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp. ground sage
  • 1 tbs. parsley
  • Salt and pepper

Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a large stock pot and saute the garlic and onions until onions are transluscent. Add the barley and lentils and cook for about a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients except spinach and increase heat until it comes to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes. The last 10 minutes add the spinach and let wilt.

2 comments:

Elly said...

Yum, this looks so good and really healthy. Tom and I LOVE barley soups. I'll have to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You have great blog. Would you mind to have a link exchange with me?

Please email me if you are interested.

my email : kamarul[at]hoteltravel[dot]com

I'd like to exchange your link with our company website.

Thanks.

Note: You can delete this comment.