Monday, July 16, 2007

Chicken Tikka Masala with Vegetable Couscous


Chad and I went to a local farmer's market a couple of weeks ago, and I picked up some spices that I don't usually use. One of them was Garam Masala. The market had so many interesting spices to choose from so I also picked up some whole nutmeg, curry, herbs de provence, and a few others.

I wanted to make a dish using the garam masala so I looked online and got some ideas. I decided on making chicken tikka's or chicken chunks. I planned to grill mine on a bamboo skewer.


Chicken Tikkas

  • 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon freeshly ground white pepper
Cube chicken into one inch pieces, season with salt and pepper and add to a large freezer bag. In a separate bowl, add all other ingredients and blend together. Add to freezer bag and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
Thread marinated chicken on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for 20 minutes. Heat olive oil on a grill pan over medium high heat and add chicken skewers. Grill on all sides until done. (I transferred my to the oven for about 4 minutes on a 400 degree setting)


Vegetable Couscous

  • 1 cup instant couscous
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 lb. asparagus cut on the bias in 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup. roughly chopped red, yellow, orange pepper
  • 2 table spoons red onion roughly chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Add dry couscous to a medium sized bowl

Saute vegetables in a small skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.

Heat broth in a pan until boiling, and pour over couscous. Add vegetables.

Let sit 5 minutes and fluff with a fork, and serve.

0 comments: