Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mini Spanakopita Triangles

I love phyllo. Seriously, what can be better than buttery, crispiness? For an ornament exchange I went to I decided to make mini spanakopitas, because I had a box of phyllo to use, and there are just so may possibilities when it comes to making apps for a party.

The task of making these little bundles of spinach and feta is laborious, but I actually enjoy that, call me crazy. I made about 40 of them, but you can make them whatever size you wish (I cut the sheets in thirds to make them bite sized).
Mini Spanakopita
(makes around 40)
1 package (1lb) frozen phyllo dough thawed in the refrigerator overnight
2 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach, thawed, and squeezed of excess liquid. ( I do this in a colander)
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1/2 cup yellow onion chopped finely
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil divided
1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter melted
1 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
a little nutmeg
Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375
In a saute pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, set aside to cool. When onions are cool, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to mix evenly.
Unwrap phyllo and lay flat, cover with a damp towel to prevent drying out. Take one sheet of dough and brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top and brush with more butter. Cut dough lengthwise in thirds.
Put a little of the spinach mixture on on on the end of one strip,
and fold up like a flag.
Brush with more butter. Keep going (trust me, it will take a little while) until mixture is gone.
Put on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.

9 comments:

gaga said...

Yum, those look delicious. I love spanakopita and haven't had it in ages. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

these look great, my little honorary greek ;)

Anonymous said...

My friend brought spanakopita to my house for Thanksgiving, and they were so good. I think I am going to have to make my own!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love this! What a great appetizer (or a meal in itself to me!) and I can just imagine how delicious they are with the crispy buttery layers!

nicole said...

I just made these recently too! they are so tastey and freeze so well. great job!

Mary Ellen said...

I love these but have never made my own. I may just have to try them! I am with you on loving making things that are labor intensive and take a lot of time!!

Colleen said...

Ooh I am afraid of phyllo so I am very impressed with your skill at these!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These look great! They look a little laborious, but totally worth it :) Your blog has so many wonderful recipes, I've really enjoyed looking through it.

I would love to write about your recipe on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions