Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hearty Lentil and Sausage Stew

Tonight I made a soup exactly how I was craving it. I didn't realize it until I started to sit down and eat it. I love, love when this type of thing happens. I was craving a hearty, bean type stew/soup for dinner and I got just that. This is a very pocketbook friendly meal, the most expensive item is the smoked sausage. Not too labor intensive either, just throw things in a pot and let simmer. At the end to make it thick and creamy, I pureed some lentils in my blender. Serve with crusty bread and your good to go with this winter friendly meal.

Hearty Lentil and Sausage Stew

1lb. smoked sausage cut into half moons
1 lb. green lentils
1 medium onion diced
2 large stalks celery diced
1 cup (about) diced carrots
2 medium resset potatoes peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbs. parsley chopped
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs cumin
1 tsp. ground allspice
7-8 cups chicken stock or broth
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add butter and oil. When butter is melted add onions, celery, bay leaves, cumin, allspice, and parsley. Cook about 3 minutes and add sausage. Cook mixture for about 5-8 minutes then add garlic. Cook another couple minutes and add lentils and potatoes. Stir to combine and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook about 30 minutes. At the end scoop out about 2 cups of the lentils and puree in a blender. Add back to pan and stir. Serve and enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks good, and very flexible. If you're using different types of smoked sausage when you make it, it probably tastes like a whole different recipe.

nicole said...

yum!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! I love anything with smoked sausage in it!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'm always looking for more lentil recipes - so glad you've shared this one! Looks wonderful, comforting and hearty!

Erin said...

I saw some smoked turkey kilbasa at Trader joe's today, and I knew it was destined for soup like this. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Hilary said...

I made this for dinner last night, my husband and I both loved it. Thanks for sharing!