Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hearty and Healthy Turkey and Vegetable Chili

I bought a couple of turkey thighs a couple weeks back and needed to use them. I decided to slow cook them in some broth and herbs today while I ran errands. When I got back they were fork tender and ready to work with. I added two types of beans to this chili and even contemplating adding another, but I left it at the black and kidney. I used a bunch of fresh oregano which gave this chili depth of flavor, and I added a bit of cayenne for some spiciness. This made a ton, which is great to freeze for days I don't have anything to bring for lunch. This recipe is only 5 WW points but tastes like it could be 10.

Hearty Turkey and Vegetable Chili
(Makes 8 Servings)

3 1/2 cups dark Turkey meat (I used 2 thighs cooked w/o the skin)

2 tsp. olive oil
butter spray
1 cup each: carrots diced, celery diced, green pepper diced onion diced

3 cloves garlic minced

2 cans diced tomatoes

2 Tbs. tomato paste
1 can black beans drained and rinsed

1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed

1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
6 cups fat free chicken broth
2 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tbs. cumin
dash of cayenne (more if you like it hot!) dash of hot sauce
1 Tbs. fresh oregano
1 Tbs. fresh parsley chopped

1
bay leaf salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter spray. Add carrots, celery, green peppers, and onion. Cook until onion turns translu
cent. Add parsley, oregano, bay leaf and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and spices, cooking a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with a Tablespoon of cheddar cheese and a dollop of fat free sour cream.

14 comments:

Cate said...

I've been looking for new chile recipes as we head into fall...do you think I could do this in a slow cooker?

Ally said...

Absolutely! You might want to cut the meat off the bone of the thigh first though.

Linds said...

Yum! Turkey chili is one of my favs. This looks great and so healthy!

Linds said...

Yum! Turkey chili is one of my favs. This looks great and so healthy!

Arlene Delloro said...

I'm not a real fan of chili, but I do love turkey legs and thighs. I'm bookmarking this for the first cool, autumn night. Five points is a great meal!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Love turkey chili! Looks super yummy! I make turkey chili with ground turkey, but I love your idea of using the turkey legs. This will be great for a thanksgiving leftover.

That Girl said...

Turkey chili is soooo much better than beef chili

Cara said...

this sounds great! I like the idea of using shredded meat instead of ground turkey.

~Amber~ said...

This looks great, I bet it tasted amazing.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today on my google reader, you have some great recipes. I look forward to reading more!

Jingle said...

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to have found your blog! I love food blogs, but I am also on WW! I just reached my goal, actually, and I have no intention of going back so I am so excited to see fresh and exciting recipes to help me maintain my weight! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

This looks so tasty as well as healthy! And I love the sound of slow cooked turkey thighs, they'd just be so delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I've never used turkey in chili before, but I will have to try it!

Erin said...

I usually do my Turkey Chili with ground turkey (see my blog from a week or so ago), but I really like the idea of shredded turkey. I'm going to be on the lookout for turkey thighs to use. Chili is one of my fav things to cook in fall.