Monday, June 30, 2008

Healthier Potato Soup

Chad and I love potato soup. The loaded baked potato kind with all the pieces of salty bacon, gooey cheese, and creamy potatoes. However, we don't like all the fat and calories assiciated with it. So I decided to Dr. up and old favorite and make it healthier. After using the recipe calculator in SparkRecipes, I achieved my goal! I ended up pureeing this with my immersion blender to thicken, but that step is up to you. I like how I got a bite of everything on my spoon, plus it thickened it up a bit. This soup is fairly easy and can be quick if the potatoes are prebaked.


Healthier Potato Soup

4 medium sized potatoes baked, skins removed and diced small
4 cups reduced fat milk
2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 cup onions diced small
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
1 1/2 fresh chopped basil
2 Tbs. flour
4 pieces turkey bacon cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup 2 % cheddar cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground (or fresh ground) nutmeg

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add oil and butter. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic, parsley, and basil and saute about 2-3 minutes longer. Add flour and stir until it is a paste, continue to whisk for about a minute. Add milk to pot in a slow stream and whisk vigorously until flour is incorporated. Add chicken stock and the rest of the ingredients except sour cream and cheese and bring to a slow simmer. Continue to simmer about 10 minutes and take off heat. Stir in cheese and sour cream. At this point you can use the immersion blender to puree to thicken, or smash the potatoes up a bit instead.
Serves 6
Calories 216.5
Total Fat 9.8 g
Saturated Fat 4.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.7 g
Cholesterol 24.8 mg
Sodium 237.8 mg
Potassium 409.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 8.5 g

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I love potato soup and it's nice to see a healthy version.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh, I love potato soup and even better, this is healthier! Thanks for sharing.

Maryanna said...

That looks great. I love potato soup, and healthy potato soup sounds even better!

Michelle said...

Lordy does that looks good and one of my favorite soups too.

BTW, you've been tagged! Please visit my blog to find out the meme rules in my post titled "I've been tagged again". Have a great day! Michelle

That Girl said...

I have the same problem with potato soup, compounded by the fact I practically lick my bowl clean - what a great lighter recipe!

~Amber~ said...

Sounds like an awesome recipe. Looks delicious too.

Carrie said...

Oh, I want to try potato soup!