Monday, June 23, 2008

Broccoli and Cheese Polenta

I'm all about the side dishes lately. I get so sick of eating the same ones over and over, so I've been trying to come up with some unique, but healthy new one.

Tonight I needed a side to go with the Turkey with Provencal sauce above. I didn't want it to be to busy since the sauce going on the turky was pretty intense in flavor.
I decided to do a simple polenta. But I wanted to add some kind of vegetable, so I used the box of frozen chopped broccoli I had in the freezer.
This was simple, tasted wonderful, and was quick to prepare and best of all after putting the ingredients into the Sparkpeople Recipe Calculator, it looks as though (makes 6 servings) there is about 137 calories, and only 3.4 g of fat per serving.

Broccoli Cheese Polenta

1 cup corn meal
3 cups chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
1 box frozen broccoli thawed (I thawed in the microwave)
1 tsp butter
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup 2 % shredded mozzarella
2 Tbs. grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Heat a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add chicken broth and let it come to a boil. In a steady stream, add the polenta whisking the entire time. Keep whisking until smooth. Let cook about 15 minutes and add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Cook about 5-8 minutes longer and serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had polenta, but I love broccoli and cheese ANYTHING! I will definitely be trying this.

~Amber~ said...

I have never had polenta before but I bet it is mighty tasty with broccoli and cheese in it.

bethanyjg said...

This looks like something I would LOVE. I am a huge fan of polenta and broccoli, so I will definitely be trying this.

That Girl said...

I've been dying for a creamy broccoli dish ever since I saw Giada make a mashed broccoli side!