Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tabouleh

I could seriously eat this stuff all day. I just love the freshness of it and what is wonderful is that it is so good for you!

This is great on it's own, scooped up with pita, in a sandwich, however you choose to eat tabouli is up to you. I made this to add to our Lebanese feast tonight. I don't even care that Chad won't touch it. More for me! This is another dish that is not time consuming. The hardest part is chopping, and I can get that done in under 10 minutes. : )

Tabouli
1 bunch curly parsley finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped mint
1 cup tomatoes chopped (I used grape but any variety will do)
1/2 cup chopped purple onion
1/2 cup cucumber finely chopped (I omitted tonight because I didn't have any on hand)
1 cup fine burgul wheat (#1 is a good grind for this)
3/4 cup water
Juice from 1-2 lemons
2-4 Tbs. good olive oil
1 tsp. salt

Put burgul in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit about 10 minutes until water is absorbed. In the meantime chop all veggies and put in a bowl. Add burgul to bowl and toss until evenly distributed. Add lemon, olive oil and salt and mix. Put in fridge for 15 minutes to chill, or serve immediately.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I love, love, LOVE tabouli and have never tried to make it! I usually buy it from Publix in the deli. I will have to try this - it looks delish!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

I am a huge fan of tabouli and would love to try it homemade, this looks fabulous!

Jaime said...

is it really that easy to make??? i love this stuff!

Anonymous said...

As a lebanese i must tell you, that tabouli is parley salad not burgul salad!!!
In your dish the burgul is predominat, and shouldn't be.For 1 bunch of parley you should put 1-2 Tb spoons of burgul. :)
Lebanse usually use yellow or green onions,not purple onion.

Have a nice day!

Hanane

Ally said...

Thank you for the feeback Hanane! I understand that there isn't as much parsley in this salad, but this is how I prefer it. As well as using grape tomatoes and purple onions.