Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Creamy Polenta with Fontina

Yum, Italian grits, lol! At least that is what I think of them. I have just started my love affair with polenta. Sure I have had it plenty before, but recently I have actually been craving it. It is really a versatile dish, there are hundreds of ways to dress it up. I am already planning a couple of new ways to prepare it. I added fontina cheese and parmesan to this batch, and it was fantastic. Next time I make polenta this way I will probably add more herbs. But since I was pairing it with my pork above, I decided to leave it simple and creamy.


Creamy Polenta with Fontina

1 1/2 cups corn meal
6 cups chicken stock/broth
1 cup heavy cream/half and half/milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 cup cubed fontina cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large sauce pan bring chicken stock and cream to a boil. Pour polenta into the pot whisking as you go. Turn heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in butter and cheeses and cook about 5 minutes more. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Emily said...

YUM! I might be making this soon with my leftover polenta from my cake. Did you eat it as a side dish or an entree?
Emily227 www.joyofcooking.wordpress.com

Elizabeth said...

This looks amazing! And very impressive since you created it yourself - I will have to try this one.