Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cheesecake Pops-------Daring Baker's


My 3rd. daring baker challenge!!!
So proud of myself! But....Whew. I barely made the dead line! Actually.. I made the cheesecake for these pops last week, and rolled and put the sticks a day later. I then froze them until I was ready to decorate.
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I wanted to get some of the work out of the way. Otherwise, the procrastinator (hence posting last minute) would never get them done on time. I did decorate about 7 of them to take to some of my coworkers last Friday, but I only did the turtle pops, and I wanted to showcase a variety when I updated.


I had no problems with this recipe, other than it took about an hour rather than 40 minutes to bake, but really, no biggie. I used a 10" pan as directed (Wilton, found at Michael's, and got 50% off, woo hoo!) and the cheese cake came out perfectly, not jiggly like others had mentioned when they initially took it out of the oven.


I really loved this recipe. So easy to fit any occasion and very impressive (I impressed myself!)


They were fun to make and I will definitely keep these in mind when I have a function to host
.





The Recipe:

Cheesecake Pops


(Recipe taken from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey by Jill O’Connor)


Makes 30 – 40 Pops
5 8-oz. packages cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup heavy cream
Boiling water as needed
Thirty to forty 8-inch lollipop sticks
1 pound chocolate, finely chopped – you can use all one kind or half and half of dark, milk, or white (Alternately, you can use 1 pound of flavored coatings, also known as summer coating, confectionary coating or wafer chocolate – candy supply stores carry colors, as well as the three kinds of chocolate.)
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
(Note: White chocolate is harder to use this way, but not impossible)


Assorted decorations such as chopped nuts, colored jimmies, crushed peppermints, mini chocolate chips, sanding sugars, dragees) - Optional
Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Set some water to boil.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth. If using a mixer, mix on low speed. Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well (but still at low speed) after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and cream.
Grease a 10-inch cake pan (not a springform pan), and pour the batter into the cake pan. Place the pan in a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake until the cheesecake is firm and slightly golden on top, 35 to 45 minutes.


Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and cool to room temperature. Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
When the cheesecake is cold and very firm, scoop the cheesecake into 2-ounce balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Carefully insert a lollipop stick into each cheesecake ball. Freeze the cheesecake pops, uncovered, until very hard, at least 1 – 2 hours.


When the cheesecake pops are frozen and ready for dipping, prepare the chocolate. In the top of a double boiler, set over simmering water, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, heat half the chocolate and half the shortening, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and chocolate and shortening are combined. Stir until completely smooth. Do not heat the chocolate too much or your chocolate will lose it’s shine after it has dried. Save the rest of the chocolate and shortening for later dipping, or use another type of chocolate for variety.
Alternately, you can microwave the same amount of chocolate coating pieces on high at 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.


Quickly dip a frozen cheesecake pop in the melted chocolate, swirling quickly to coat it completely. Shake off any excess into the melted chocolate. If you like, you can now roll the pops quickly in optional decorations. You can also drizzle them with a contrasting color of melted chocolate (dark chocolate drizzled over milk chocolate or white chocolate over dark chocolate, etc.) Place the pop on a clean parchment paper-lined baking sheet to set. Repeat with remaining pops, melting more chocolate and shortening (or confectionary chocolate pieces) as needed.Refrigerate the pops for up to 24 hours, until ready to serve.

Thanks to Elle and Deborah for a great recipe, I had fun making them!

Check out the other DB's creations at the daring bakers blogroll.

18 comments:

Maryanna said...

Those look really cute. I'm definitely going to have to try these!

Barbara Bakes said...

I also got my 10 inch pan at Michael's for 50% off! Not only are we Daring Bakers, we are great shoppers! They look great!

Shelby said...

Great job and lucky you! I was one who had really SOFT cheesecake.

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY love all the fun colors!! :)

Faery said...

Wow these are so cute and yummy

Half Baked said...

Nice job on your pops! I like the polkadots:)

Brilynn said...

Love the idea of turtle pops!

~Amber~ said...

SO cute! I had an idea to do turtle pops but I had so much other stuff going on I kind of forgot. :) Congratulations on your 3rd successful challenge.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great looking pops! Wonderful! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

That Girl said...

These look so adventurous!

Anonymous said...

Your cheesecake pops look so cute! I love all the colors you used and the turtle ones look so delicious!

Deborah said...

Your pops look great! The colors are so bright and cheery!

Babeth said...

Great job!

Liz said...

I have given you a blogging with a purpose award on my blog. I really enjoy reading your blog and made your Salisbury steak last week. Thanks!

Ginny said...

the turtle pops are my favorite! great idea!

Dolores said...

I love the turtle pops. Great job!

Molly Loves Paris said...

You didn't procrastinate, you were simply very sensible to make the base a week in advance so that they froze up good and proper like. I wish I'd thought of that. Lovely pops!

Sheltie Girl said...

These look so fun! Great job.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go