Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Orecchiette with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon and Fresh Basil



I just love this type of pasta. They look like little ears and are perfect for trapping delicious bits in it's indentation.
See what I mean?
I picked up some mascarpone cheese from Trader Joe's the other night, and couldn't wait to use it in this pasta. I was also excited to use sun dried tomatoes. See, Chad never knew he liked them (he hates regular tomatoes) or I would've been making dished with them all the time. They are a perfect accompaniment to a pasta or even a pan sauce. I threw in some bacon just for giggles, ya know, I had it on hand and it went well with the other ingredients so I fried it up and added it. The fresh basil made it, well, fresh and has me yearning for the warm spring days that are quickly approaching. (just a few more weeks!!)
This is a very quick and easy meal for a weeknight, and a treat to take to work the next day.

Orecchiette with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon and Fresh Basil
1 lb. Orecchiette
1/2 onion diced
1 Tbs. olive oil
4 slices thick cut bacon
1 Tbs. rendered bacon fat
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil) chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped into a chiffonade
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup parmesan finely grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook Pasta according to package directions. While the pasta water is heating cook bacon in a small to skillet until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour grease into a small container. Drain pasta, reserving a cup of pasta water and put into a large serving bowl. Wipe out bacon skillet with paper towels and add olive oil, bacon fat onion and sun dried tomatoes. Saute until onion is soft add garlic and basil. Saute a few more minutes. Toss bacon, onion/tomato/garlic/basil mixture, and cheeses into the bowl with the pasta. Add a couple ladles of pasta water and mix together thoroughly. Serve while hot.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks delicious! I don't like tomatoes either...but sun-dried are completely different.

ashley said...

looks really good ally!

Elly said...

Oh my GAH. Mascarpone, bacon AND pasta? Oh Ally, you temptress.

Anonymous said...

Ally, you make the BEST stuff!! UGH! lol. I love this. Love it a lot. Totally steaing the recipe for my personal tastebuds' delightment. Thanks! ;)

bakingblonde said...

Pasta: Check
Bacon: Check
Cheese: Check
In love?: Check

That looks soooooooo good!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This looks fabulous Ally!

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious- the perfect pasta dish!

Linds said...

Yum! This looks absolutely delicious. I love orcchiette pasta too- its perfect for 'catching' all the cheesy and creamy goodness of the pasta dish you put it in. I will def be saving this recipe, thanks!

Jaime said...

i love sun dried tomato and basil together...but bacon too? yum! :)

SaraLynn said...

Another tasty dish! Yum!