Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fakes Me Ryzi/Greek Lentils and Rice

To go along with the Greek theme tonight, I browsed around looking for a side dish. I came across this recipe. Because Chad and I love lentils, I decided to give it a go. It was very simple, but I did change the recipe up a bit. I really liked the flavor of this dish, and I will probably make it again, but I think next time I may make it a one pot meal by adding some meat or even shrimp. My modifications are in orange.


Fakes Me Ryzi
2 cups of dried small brown lentils
sea salt
8 cups of water (I used fresh home made turkey stock so I omitted the water and bouillion.)
1 small vegetable bouillon cube
1 cup of long grain rice
1 large carrot, grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups of unseasoned tomato sauce or 3 tablespoons of tomato paste dissolved in 1 1/4 cups of water
1 sprig of fresh rosemary (or 1 bay leaf, or 1 sprig of fresh oregano)
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil (optional)

Rinse lentils under running water. Place in a large pot with plenty of cold salted water and boil over high heat for 10 minutes. Drain and discard water.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and shredded carrots and cook until onions are soft. Add garlic, pepper and 2 sprigs of fresh oregano and saute a few minutes longer. Add stock and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add rice, lentils and salt to pot and simmer 20 minutes.

5 comments:

Erin said...

I love lentils too. This sounds like a great recipe ... nice and tomatoey!

Jaime said...

i've never had lentils before...wonder if i would like them?

Jaime said...

oh - and i forgot to say - your dish looks great and makes me want to try lentils :)

Rachel said...

I have a bag of lentils that I really should use...I think I found the recipe for them!

Elly said...

oh this sounds so good! i have never had my fahkes with my ryzi, lol. but i'll have to give this a try; looks like a winning combo.