Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sauteed Turkey Cutlets w/ Sage Vermouth Pan Sauce

My mother-in-law was coming over for dinner tonight so I wanted to make something lip-smacking good. I asked my cooking board ladies for some ideas on how to prepare my turkey cutlets. One nestie, Bakingblonde recommended this recipe from Katie's blog and subbing the turkey cutlets for the chicken. Sounded delicious, so I decided I would do something similar.

I browsed a few different recipes on Cooks Illustrated but I ended up just taking bits of a few different recipes. I was so happy how everything turned out. The turkey was so perfect. I am definitely going to be using these cutlets again soon. And the sauce, well I shamefully admit I licked the plate. And Chads. My MIL caught me doing that last bit, whoops!


Sauteed Turkey Cutlets
(inspired by CI and My Nesties)

6 1/4" thin turkey cutlets
3 Tbs. canola oil
flour for dredging
Salt, pepper and garlic powder for seasoning
Season cutlets with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge in flour shaking off excess and set aside. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over med. high heat. Saute cutlets a couple minutes on each side transfer to a plate and put a tent of foil over the plate to keep them warm.

**CI recommends to heat your oven to 200 degrees and put cutlets in the oven until ready to serve***


Pan Sauce:
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbs. fresh chopped sage
1 1/2 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 tsp. flour
water

Use the same pan that the turkey was sauteed in. Heat oil and add onions and mushrooms. Saute a few minutes and add garlic. Saute for a couple minutes more and add the vermouth and sage. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the pan,. The simmer until almost all the vermouth is evaporated. Add chicken stock salt and pepper and reduce by 1/2-3/4. Add a flour and water slurry to sauce if it isn't thickened to your liking. Serve over turkey cutlets.

I served this over orzo and roasted asparagus.

3 comments:

bakingblonde said...

Ally that looks great! Isn't that sauce to die for? Katie sure posted a winning recipe. I am so glad you liked it! It is one of my faves and I have been caught licking the sauce out of the pan as well. lol.

PS I have made about 10 of your recipes so far and each one has been a hit!

Ally said...

Aww! I love ya girl! And you are right, Katie sure did steer us in the right direction to a fantastic recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't give me any credit. Totally not my recipe. But I totally lick the plate too!! LOL!

Gosh Ally, this looks great. You did such a great job coming up with your own recipe for this. I want to lick the screen!!