Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lebanese Pita Bread

There is nothing like home made bread... Amazingly better than store bought. I have been craving some good Lebanese food all week so I decided to have a Lebanese theme for the next few days. I got started with my theme by baking this pita bread. I browsed through tons of recipes online and finally decided to use this one. It really was an easy recipe to follow, and they came out beautiful. This recipe makes 12 pitas, plenty enough for Chad and I to stuff for sandwiches, or just accompany our meals the next few days.

Lebanese Pita Bread
(fabulousfoods.com)
2 C warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Place 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl and sprinkle yeast and sugar over the water. Stir to blend and let sit until dissolved.

Place flour, salt and oil in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture and remaining water and beat (preferable with a heavy duty electric mixer) until flour is completely integrated. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed -- about 5-8 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl and oil top of dough lightly. Cover with a warm kitchen towl and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size, about 1 1/4 hours.
Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead to remove the air bubbles. Roll into a log and divide dough evenly into 12 pieces. Pat each piece of dough into a ball, them use a rolling pin to flatten into discs about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches in diameter.


Place discs on a lightly greased baking sheet and let rise, uncovered, until barely doubled in thickness, about 30-45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500° F. and place oven rack in lowest position.
Bake the bread, one pan at a time, until puffed and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool breads on a wire rack.

8 comments:

bakingblonde said...

That looks perfect for the Chicken Ceasar Pitas I love to bring for lunch! Thanks for another inspiring recipe Ally!

Elly said...

these look so great, ally! i need to make these. yum.

Melissa said...

Looks good!

Anonymous said...

so funny! I totally made flat bread and a bunch of lebanese recipes this weekend too! The pita looks great! Makes me wish I brought some for lunch!

~Amber~ said...

These look awesome Ally! You know how I love all things bread, I might have to give these a try.

Jaime said...

i never knew making pita bread was so easy! i have to try this!

hamosia said...

i love this bread and if it was not for my dad or grandad i would not have tasted it cause my grandad is lebanese!!!!!!!!!!!!

hamosia said...

i love this bread and if it was not for my dad or grandad i would not have tasted it cause my grandad is lebanese!!!!!!!!!!!!