Sunday, November 4, 2007

Breakfast for my Husband

With the time change I got up pretty early this Sunday morning. When I realized what time it really was I decided that I would make breakfast for Chad instead of going back to bed. While I browsed the pantry for things he likes to eat for breakfast I came across the loaf of white bread I got for a penny at Publix. I love taking advantage of the "mystery coupon" on Sunday's and Monday's but this time I felt a little guilty. The bread has been sitting untouched for a week. So I decided to make french toast and I was happy to use a little of that loaf up. I used Alton Brown's recipe for french toast because I've never gone wrong with any of his recipes. I just adjusted the amount of ingredients since I wasn't making 8 slices. I found a praline maple syrup in the pantry that I got from a local farm here in Georgia, so I was even more excited for his breakfast because this was the first time to crack that bottle open. Chad was pleasantly suprised to wake up to the smell of fresh coffee and french toast for breakfast, and devoured his plate in minutes. I think I deserve a gold star for this one. : )

French Toast (courtesy AB)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 Tbs. honey (heated in the microwave)
  • pinch of salt
  • one egg
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter

Heat skillet over med. low heat and add butter.
Beat all ingredients together and let sit for about 10 minutes. Soak each piece of bread in the batter for a couple seconds then transfer to hot skillet. Fry a few minutes on each side. Sprinkle with powder sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Serve with your favorite syrup

0 comments: