Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Theme Week: Nola: Barbecue Shrimp

  • Now this isn't your typical barbecue with a grill and a BBQ sauce. Well, not a typical bbq sauce that is. New Orleans has a special way of preparing BBQ shrimp, and it is absolutely lip smacking good. It starts out with head-on/shell on shrimp (the heads hold so much flavor!), LOTS of butter, and of course some cajun seasoning and fresh herbs.
    I haven't had this dish in quite a while. Probably not for about a year. I don't know why, I guess I just forgot about it. But when I was browsing the web for more Nola cuisine for my theme week, I came across many recipes for it. I also have a little spiral cookbook that I have no memory of buying called "Classic Cajun Cooking" (you know the kind, churches/schools sell them for fundraisers) that I forgot about and there was a recipe for the Nola style BBQ shrimp in it as well. Instead of following a recipe, I kind of took a bit from all of them. You must serve this with a crusty bread, preferably french. The sauce is just too good not to have something to sop it up with. I also made spicy boiled red potatoes and oven roasted corn on the cob. A nice beer would also pair nicely with this dish. Recommended: Abita Amber.


    BBQ Shrimp

    1 lb head on/shell on large shrimp (I used 21-25 shrimp but unfortunately they didn't have the head on)
    2 sticks of unsalted butter
    4 cloves garlic minced
    1 small or half a medium onion finely chopped
    1 sprig of fresh rosemary finely chopped
    2 Tbs. fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1 Tbs. fresh oregano finely chopped
    3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    Juice of half a lemon
    3/4 bottle of amber beer (Abita if you can find it)
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    2 Tbs. Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
    1 Tbs. Crystal hot sauce

    Heat oven to 400 degrees. melt 3 tbs. butter in a large cast iron skillet and saute onion for a couple of minutes. Add garlic, and the rest of the herbs seasonings and saute for a couple minutes more. Add the beer and lime juice and let reduce for about 5-8 minutes (about half). Add cold butter and stir. Add shrimp try to get them in an even layer and put in oven for 12 minutes.

    Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob
    • 2 cobs husks and silk removed
    • 1 Tbs. butter
    • Foil for wrapping

    Melt butter and baste corn evenly on all sides. Wrap in foil and cook in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

    Spicy Boiled Potatoes

    • 5 small new potatoes halved
    • 1 Tbs. cajun seasoning
    • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    • 4-5 dashes Crystal hot sauce
    Wash and cut potatoes in half add to pot and cover with cold water. Heat over med. high/high heat until it comes to a rolling boil, add seasonings and cook about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Ohhh, that looks good. I love bbq shrimp, but I prefer them without the heads on!!

Erika said...

Mmmmm... Abita beer! Down in Tampa we used to go to this Cajun place that was the real deal. They had shrimp cornbread, po boys, and pork chops stuffed with andouille sausage. And the best was the Abita beer. I don't think I can find it up here in Maine!

Your shrimp look delicious, but I'm with Brittany- no heads please!