Sunday, October 7, 2007

Theme Week: Nola: Andouille Havarti Grit Cakes

I'm writing in purple today rather than the blue I usually use because I am still celebrating LSU's win against the Gators last night. What a great game! And because of that game I have a headache today, you know the kind, from too much $2 Abita beer.

For a little brunch today I was in need of something a bit greasy. Well, not too greasy, but something with lots of flavor and fried. That is when I began to browse my pantry for "brunchy" kind of ingredients. I found some quick cooking grits, and I had left over andouille sausage and a brick of havarti.
I also browsed the web and got my idea based off this recipe. This was a very simple and satisfying cake. I would probably make a sauce to accompany it next time.


Andouille Havarti Grit Cakes
  • 1/2 lb. andouille sausage finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 Tbs. Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
  • 1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
  • 2 cups quick cooking white grits
  • 4 1/2 cups 2 % milk
  • 1 1/2 cups havarti
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 2 cups panko
  • flour for dredging
  • oil for frying

Heat pot over medium heat and saute andouille until the fat starts to render. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add butter, milk, creole seasoning and parsley. Bring to a boil and add grits. Let simmer for a bout 5 minutes and transfer to a 9x13 glass baking dish. Let firm up in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Cut in desired shape, dredge in flour, egg then panko and fry in a skillet over med. heat.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Geaux Tigers! Wasn't that a great game!
Yummy breakfast, I made beignets out of refrigerated biscuits (easy, but yummy!). Can't wait for next week against Kentucky:)

Ally said...

Geaux Tigers is right! I think we'll have an easy game next Sat. I'll have to check out your beignets, I love anything easy!

Deborah said...

Wow, these look wonderful!

~Amber~ said...

These look perfect! Wonderful job.