Monday, October 8, 2007

My Wonderful Husband Made Me Dinner

Today at work I wasn't feeling very well. I checked my temp and it was about 102. So when I got home I took a nap until the phone rang. Knowing I wasn't feeling good from an email earlier in the day Chad called to say that he was going to make dinner and to go ahead and get some rest.

At first I was hesitant, but I couldn't imagine going into the kitchen and whipping something up with how weak I was feeling. And also because (sorry sweetie) Chad is not a cook. He is clueless when it comes to preparing a meal that didn't come from a box. He has made me dinner once before (pecan crusted chicken, an Emeril recipe) and I was pleasantly surprised. But that was over 6 months ago.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised again. The baked ziti he made was delicious and the best part was he made it for his ailing wife. I'm such a lucky woman!


Chad's Baked Ziti

(recipe courtesy Tyler Florence from "How to Boil Water")

  • 1 pound dried ziti pasta
  • Kosher salt
  • 3 1/2 cups Quick Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
  • 1 pound fresh mozzarella, half cut into 1/2-inch cubes and half thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Pinch red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously, and boil the pasta until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Drain.
Toss the cooked pasta with the marinara sauce, cubed mozzarella, half the Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Transfer the pasta to an oiled 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Cover the top of the pasta with the sliced mozzarella, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake until lightly browned and hot, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Quick Tomato Sauce: 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 pound sweet and or spicy Italian sausages, casing removed and crumbled 1/4 medium onion, diced (about 3 tablespoons) 3 cloves garlic, chopped 3 1/2 cups whole, peeled, canned tomatoes in puree, (one 28-ounce can), roughly chopped Sprig fresh thyme Sprig fresh basil 2 teaspoons kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and the herb sprigs and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Remove and discard the herb sprigs. Stir in the salt and season with pepper, to taste. Use now or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Hope your feeling better! Good points for Chad, maybe you should let him in the kitchen more :-)

Kayte said...

oh my gosh Ally, you are one lucky lady! that looks incredible! i wish i oculd convince my husband that he is capable of something like that.

Ally said...

Kayte, show him this post. If Chad can do it any man can! :-)

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

That looks awesome~ Hope you're feeling better!!

Unknown said...

At least give me some props for technique! Don't make me out to be some dumb oaf. :P

Unknown said...

One last thing, Tyler's recipe called for sausage and I used ground beef.

Anonymous said...

Great technique Chad.

Claudia (The Blog I Never Wanted) said...

good job chad and you don't come off as an "oaf"

Renea said...

Looks like he did a good job!

~Amber~ said...

Way to go Chad!! It looks amazing and I am sure it was wonderful.