Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Vegetables

I originally wanted to have soup for tonight's meal, but when I stopped at the grocery store the butcher was putting freshly cut beef short ribs on the shelf. I eyed them over and couldn't help to put two packs in my basket. As I thought about how I would prepare the beauties I began to salivate. So, yeah, the soup idea was out.

This is not a meal that you would prepare if you don't have a lot of time. The prep is easy, but the total cook time is from 2-3 hours. And let me tell you the wait is excruciating when the aroma of the wine, beef, vegetables, and fresh herbs braising away permeates the nose.
I decided to pair the short ribs with an exciting find from Trader Joes. It is called Harvest Grains Blend and it includes Israeli cous cous, orzo, baby garbanzo beans, and red quinoa. Very simple and quick to prepare too, unlike its partner tonight.

Braised Beef Short Ribs
  • 3 lbs. beef short ribs trimmed of excess fat
  • 2 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • Flour for dredging
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning the beef
  • 2 carrots sliced
  • 1 cup crimini mushrooms roughly chopped
  • 2 celery stalks sliced
  • 1 med. onion medium diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped roughly
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme
  • about 8 fresh sage leaves
  • handful of fresh parsley leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup red wine (I used a zin)
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Season ribs liberally and dredge in flour shaking off the excess. Heat oil and butter in a large (3 inch deep sides) cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sear ribs on each side a set aside. Add vegetables and herbs and saute until onions are wilted and soft. Add garlic and saute for a couple minutes longer. Add wine and deglaze the pan making sure to get all the browned bits off the bottom. Let wine reduce by half (about 5-7 minutes) Add the bouillon broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Carefully cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2-2 1/2 hours until tender and falling off the bone.

Serve over prepared Harvest Grain mixture and enjoy with a glass of wine.
What a bite that was!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look SOOOOO good. I think I'm salivating now too! I'm now thoroughly addicted to braising. I may have to try this recipe soon! :)

BC said...

I love ribs and have only made them once (this year). I don't know why I had a fear of cooking them. but I called my trusty neighbour, the rib queen, and asked for her advice. They were fantastic.

Cara said...

These look great - I am really hoping to braise some short ribs soon myself! the side dish sounds yummy too, I'll have to look for that next time I am at TJ's.