Monday, September 24, 2007

Chicken Corn Chowder

I have been meaning to make chowder for about a week now. But with so many things going on last week, I never got around to it. Tonight I was either going to make a filet, or this chowder. I gave Chad the choice and he picked chowder. I am really happy he did.

I browsed many recipes and decided to wing one on my own. I was really excited, but when I started prepping the vegetables I gasped when I realized I didn't have the main ingredient of corn. I had to make a run to the store, there was no going back since I had already started.
Chicken Corn Chowder
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
  • 6 strips of bacon diced
  • 1/2 onion finely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 3 tbs. fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 2 cups corn (I used frozen)
  • 1 cup corn thawed and pureed in processor
  • 2 medium sized yukon gold potatoes diced
  • 8 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
  • 2 tbs. flour
  • tbs. evoo

Heat a med. sized skillet over medium heat add evoo and saute chicken until cooked through. Set aside. Heat a large stock pot over med. heat and add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove. Remove all fat from pan except 2 tbs. Add butter and onion and saute until softened. Add flour and stir to make a smooth paste. Add potatoes and garlic and saute for a minute. Add stock, pureed corn salt and pepper and most of the parsley (leave a bit to garnish).

Bring to a boil, add frozen corn and let simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Using a masher (or you can transfer 1/2 the pot to a blender) mash the soup mixture breaking up the potatoes so the soup has a nice thick consistency. remove from heat and whisk in the cream. Serve in big bowls and garnish with parsley. You can also add cheddar cheese, I did but Chad said it didn't need it. I thought it went well though.

0 comments: