Sunday, August 12, 2007

Time to use up those potatoes!



Tonight per Chad's request I made potato soup. I had some potatoes that needed to be used up so his request couldn't have come at a better time. I have made many variations of this soup with many different recipes, but tonight I just went on my own. This is by no means low fat. I'm sure there are ways to cut down on the fat and calories, but we weren't in that kind of mood tonight.

Because this soup is a meal in itself that is all we had. Sure, it would have gone great with some crusty bread, but we didn't have any on hand.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

5 medium yukon gold potatoes
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves of garlic minced
6 cups 2 % milk
2 cups half and half
3 Tbs. fresh basil chopped
1 tsp. fresh nutmeg grated
8 strips bacon chopped in 1/2 in pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated black pepper
1 cup grated cheddar/Monterrey jack

Wash and bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-50 min. or until cooked completely through. Let cool.
When potatoes are cooled, dice and put to the side. (I leave the skin on)
melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over med. heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute a minute longer. Add the flour and whisk until combined and smooth(about a minute). Pour in milk, 2 cups at a time combining the roux until fully Incorporated. Whisk in the half and half and nutmeg.
Turn heat up to med. high and bring to a simmer. Let simmer gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While you are bringing the soup up to a simmer add bacon to a med. size skillet and cook until crispy (about 10 minutes)
Remove from heat or turn to low heat and add potatoes and basil. Use a masher and mash potatoes until soup becomes thick. (you can do this before hand in a processor, or mash in a separate bowl. I didn't want to mess up another dish though.)
When soup is the desired consistency (I like it pretty thick) whisk in sour cream and cheese. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and add to soup and serve.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

This sounds fabulous! I keep wanting to make homemade potato soup - I will be saving this recipe for the fall!

Joy Through Cooking said...

ow... this looks so decadent and fabulous. I will have to make it soon :)

Deborah said...

Mmm, a baked potato without the fuss of having to chew. :)~ Sounds wonderful!

Elly said...

This looks SO yummy. Can't go wrong with bacon, cheese and potatoes. And you used 2% milk so I think that negates the butter and all those other things :)

Renea said...

Wow, that looks awesome!!

Colleen said...

I made this again this year and just blogged about it - delicious!