Friday, August 3, 2007

Pork Chops and Cherries


Tonight's dinner was inspired by the cherries I had left in the fridge. Since I had planned to have pork chops for dinner, I thought I would pair it with the cherries. For a side dish, Chad got to pick. I ran down the list of grains and pasta in the pantry, and he chose orzo.


I thought I would bake the pork with the cherries on top of them, then nixed the idea. For the cherries I decided to do a balsamic reduction and I would pan sear the pork and finish it off in the oven. For a veggie, I used the ever so convenient frozen California blend to add to the orzo.


Pork Chops


  • 4 bone in loin chops about 1/2" thick

  • Coarse Salt

  • Fresh Ground pepper

  • Dried Basil

  • Garlic powder

Heat oven to 350


Take chops out of the fridge and let come to room temperature. Season generously with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with basil and garlic powder on both sides.

Heat a large cast iron grill pan over medium high heat. add a little olive oil to prevent sticking.

Sear chops 2 minutes per side and put in oven for 15-20 min. or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Cherry Balsamic Reduction



  • 2 Tbs. butter

  • 3/4 cups cherries pitted and chopped

  • 1/3 cup Cabernet sauvignon

  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

  • 1 shallot finely chopped

  • 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan. Add shallots and garlic and saute for approx. 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer for a minute and then add vinegar and cherries. Stir to combine and let simmer 10 minutes or so until reduced by 1/2. (I added a tsp. of corn starch slurry at the end to thicken up a bit)



Summer Parmesan Orzo




  • 1 cup orzo pasta

  • 2 cups chicken stock

  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated

  • 1/2 bag frozen California Blend veggies (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli)

  • Salt and Pepper to taste.

  • 2 cloves of garlic minced

  • 2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute one minute. Add pasta and saute for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and let come to a boil for 1 minute. Turn heat to low and let simmer covered for 15 minutes. Take off lid and add Parmesan and veggies and return the lid for a few minutes or until veggies are done. Serve topped with shaved Parmesan.











6 comments:

Carrie said...

I might have to try this next time I have some pork chops!!

Deborah said...

I LOVE cherries! This sounds wonderful!

Marye said...

Nice job! It looks wonderful.

Laura said...

I think cherry is one of the best compliments to pork. This looks fabulous!

Julie said...

I am dying to try that Cherry Balsamic, that would be good on so many things.

Erika said...

I have some cherries that are just about to go bad... Now I've got something tasty to do with them!