Tuesday, August 28, 2007

BBQ Pork and my take on Mac and Cheese



So this past week and a half I have been cooking with what I have on hand. I desperately need to go grocery shopping, but since it is right before Labor day, and it's already Tues. I decided to leave it for another day. Maybe Next Tuesday??


So tonight I used up the rest of my 51/2 lb. pork loin I bought from Costco last week and I made a bbq pulled pork. I took the easy way and used the crock. I decided to cook it over night since cooking 1 1/2 of pork for 9 hours on low while I'm away at work is wayyyyy too long.


I also made mac and cheese and corn on the cob. I wanted to have mac and cheese really bad, but I had no macaroni. Or milk. But tons of various cheeses. So I improvised. Very glad I did! Our dinner was excellent, and the best part is that we have leftovers for tomorrow!


BBQ Pulled Pork


  • 1 1/2 lb. pork loin

  • 1 Tbs. chili powder

  • 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 1 tsp. pepper

  • 2 tsp. cumin

  • 1 tsp. onion powder

  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Add above ingredients in a small bowl and combine. Rub all over pork and put in crock.
Add 2 cups chicken stock to the pot and cook 6 1/2 hours on low.
Drain fat and other contents of crock and add 3/4 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (recommended: Sweet Baby Rays). Return Crock to the heat element and let cook on high for about 1 1/2 hours. Serve on toasted buns.

Ditilini and Cheese

  • 1 lb. ditilini pasta

  • 3 tbs. butter

  • 1/2 shallot finely chopped

  • 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

  • 3 tbs. flour

  • 2 cups buttermilk

  • 3 cups of your favorite cheeses. I used havarti, gouda, provolone and parmesan and a teeny bit of cheddar.
Cook pasta in boiling water for about 6 minutes. drain and set aside. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over med. heat. Add shallots and cook for about a minute. Add flour and whisk to a smooth roux. Slowly (about 1/2 cup at a time) add buttermilk. Bring to a simmer for about a minute and take off heat.

Layer 1/2 ditilini in a casserole cover with bechamel (buttermilk concoction) and 1/2 the cheese. Repeat and cover and cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Uncover the last 10 minutes to get a nice brown color to the cheese.

1 comments:

GlimmerGal said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog to get the details.
http://www.glimmergal.blogpot.com