Sunday, July 15, 2007

Omaha Yum!






Filet Mignon and Basil Parmesan Risotto with a Balsamic Reduction

Chad and I recieved a gift certificate from his mother for Omaha Steaks. I decided to go online and I ordered 4 ribeyes and 4 filet mignon. I also got 20% off my order since they were having a 4th of July special, so I was really excited to be getting a great deal.

I have never had a steak from this company so I wasn't sure of the quality. Let me just say, they arrived 3 days later as planned and I was immediately impressed. I thawed 2 of the filets immediately since I hadn't had a prime cut of meat in quite some time. That night I decided to sear the steaks in a bit of butter and then broil them in the oven. I made a basil parmesan risotto to go with the steaks, and a balsamic reduction for a little sweetness. No greens for this dish (I know, I know) but I didn't feel like making an extra trip to the store. (And Chad wouldn't have eaten the broccoli or spinach I had on hand)
I have to say, the Omaha Steaks were fantastic quality! I would totally recommend them!


Filet Mignon
  • 2 6oz. filets
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Garlic Powder

Pre heat oven to 500 and turn dial to broil.

Season the steaks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Melt butter in a heavy cast iron skillet (since we only had 2 servings I used a small cast iron pan about 8") over med. high heat.

Place steaks in pan with tongs and sear for one minute each side

Transfer oven safe skillet to pan and broil 4 minutes per side (medium)


Basil Parmesan Risotto

  • 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 cup arborio or short grain rice
  • 1/4 c. minced onion
  • 2 tbs. minced garlic
  • 1/2 c. dry white wine (I used barefoot chardonnay)
  • 2-2 1/2 Cups chicken stock
  • 3 Tbs. Fresh chopped basil
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

I used a 12" skillet for this recipe but other equipment can be substituted.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic sautee for 3 minutes. Add rice and sautee for 1 minute. Add wine, and stir constantly until it has been fully absorbed. Add the chopped Basil, and 1/2 cup of chk stock at a time until it is absorbed. When all liquid has been incorperated, (this should take 30-35 minutes) add the parmesan cheese and blend into the risotto.

Balsamic Reduction

  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/3 (about) balsamic vinegar
  • 1 shallot minced

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat (I used the same pan I broiled the filets in), and add shallots. Sautee for 2 minutes and add balsamic vinegar. Stir frequently and lower heat to med. low to a low setting. Let reduce about 5 minutes.

Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the filet and risotto and enjoy!!













0 comments: