Saturday, December 13, 2008

Marble Pound Cake

Wow, I'm actually updating, lol! I have been such a slacker lately, and I apologize for that.

I made this cake for my friend Kari's birthday. She told me that her favorite cake is a pound cake, and that she loved chocolate. So I thought I'd give her the best of both worlds and do a marble pound. I used Dorie's recipe for both the pound cake (perfection pound cake) and marbling techniques. The cake was very good, but not as moist as I wanted. I'm sure it was a mistake I made, maybe cooking it a little longer than I should have? Maybe the bundt wasn't a good idea, who knows? But, it was still a lovely cake and I was happy to give it to Kari.


Marble Pound Cake
(Dorie Greenspan, Baking From my Home to Yours)

2 cups all purpose flour, or 2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
I added another tsp. of almond extract
Preheat oven to 325
Butter the pan. Use two cookie sheets on top of one another to insulate.
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the butter and sugar on high speed until it is pale and fluffy, around 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and reduce the speed to medium, add eggs one at a time, beating 1-2 minutes as each is added. Mix in the extracts. On low speed mix in the flour mixture a little at a time, bieng careful not to over mix.
For the marbling:

After the batter is fully mixed, transfer 1/2 of it to another bowl and blend in 4 ounces of melted chocolate ( I used semisweet, but Dorie suggests bittersweet). Drop spoonfuls of light and dark batter in the pan and take a knife, spoon, or whatever and make zigzags.
Put on cookie sheets and let bake for 45 minutes, checking on it periodically. If it starts to brown loosely cover it with foil. The cake is done when a knife is inserted and comes out clean.
Let cool, sprinkle with powder sugar if you like and enjoy.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

My mom makes this fantastic pound cake that's chocolate and vanilla, but not marbelized. It's Thatboy's favorite.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Beautiful cake! :)

~Amber~ said...

I have never made a pound cake before but this looks excellent!