Sunday, December 14, 2008

Layered Enchilada Casserole

What a way to cure my Mexican craving! Cheesy, saucy, layers of corn tortillas with re fried bean and ground turkey mixture nestled in between. This is comfort food at it's best. I made this up as I went along, but this isn't really a difficult concept. Think of it as a lasagna, just with tortillas instead of noodles. I doubt this is a unique idea, I think I've seen a recipe or two like it. Nonetheless, it really was delicious, and I'll happily be taking it to work with me the next couple of days.

Layered Enchilada Casserole
1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 can re fried beans
1 Tbs. canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
3 8oz cans (it's all I had on hand) No Salt added tomato sauce
2 Tbs. Chili powder divided
2 Tbs. cumin Divided
2 tsp. smoked paprika divided
2 tsp. dried oregano
Pinch of sugar
a few shakes of cayenne powder
salt and pepper to taste
18 corn tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar and some left over Monterrey jack)
Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add ground turkey. Add 1 Tbs. of chili powder, 1 Tbs. cumin, a tsp. of oregano and salt and pepper. Cook until evenly browned. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Wipe out skillet with paper towels and add oil. Put skillet over medium heat and saute onions and pepper. When onion becomes translucent add garlic and parsley. Cook another minute. Add tomato sauce and the rest of the spices and sugar. Let simmer about 5 minutes.
Transfer ground turkey to a mixing bowl and add re fried beans and about 1/4-1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce. Mix well.
In a 9x13 casserole dish layer 6 tortillas on the bottom, cover with sauce, then meat-bean mixture, then cheese.
Repeat the process ending with tortillas, sauce and more cheese. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, uncovering the last 10 minutes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mouth is watering...i need to make this after the holidays FOR SURE! great recipe! thanks for sharing!!!!

Mary Ellen said...

YUM. Looks delicious! I love Mexican food - I think half my blog is made up of Mexican dishes!!

Unknown said...

WOW! that looks SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm cheesy, Mexicany goodness! You are totally right about this being comfort food!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

How cheesy delicious is that?! Looks awesome and now I'm craving tex mex cuisine!

nicole said...

yum look at all that cheese! how could that be bad?

Anonymous said...

Mexican food is my absolute favorite and this looks fantastic. I love this meal!

Snooky doodle said...

great looking recipes. I mgetting hungry here :)