Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Deep Dish Pizza in Cast Iron


I know a lot of people aren't fans of the "Pan" type pizza, usually because it has someting to do with the thick crust. But I love it. I used a recipe I have used before, with the only changes being the white cornmeal instead of yellow, and I used the cheese I had on hand, which was mozzarella and smoked gouda. I topped mine with pepperoni, onions and mushrooms, and Chad's with Just pepperoni.
I think I do prefer the yellow cornmeal to the white, but tonight, Chad said he liked this one better. Go figure. Anyway, this is another inexpensive meal to make as you can add whatever leftover meat, veggies, cheeses you have on hand, And yes, it can be done on a week night. If you prefer to make the dough ahead of time, just store it in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze. **I pre-baked the crust 5 minutes before topping, it lent to a crispier crust***

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so hungry for pizza right now and that is sooooooooooo tempting!

Robin said...

My mouth is watering! YUM!

That Girl said...

This looks pretty innovative to me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this looks so so good!! LOVE deep dish pizza!

Anonymous said...

This looks SO good Ally. I really need to try this. I've never made pizza dough and I am definitely going to break it in on my cast iron skillet. Mmm gouda...

Snooky doodle said...

OH my!! I m drooling! Pizza is my favourite dish and this surely gets top scores :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Being from Chicago, this looks like a great pizza! I'm a fan of deep dish/pan so I all for this one!

nicole said...

being from Chicago this looks like home! I will have to try this one for sure.

Caroline said...

That looks soo delicious!

Carrie said...

YUM! I love pizza, it's been a long time since I made it.

~Amber~ said...

What a delicious looking pizza, I love deep dish pizza.

gaga said...

I used my cast iron for deep dish pizza too, it's perfect for it!

Your pizza looks amazing.

Jaime said...

that pizza looks fabulous! sorry i haven't been able to visit for a while, things have been so busy