Sunday, July 6, 2008

Zucchini and Summer Squash Tart

Chad and I were invited to a friends house for the 4th. I needed to bring a dish but I didn't want to bring something predictable like potato salad or baked beans (I was sure that would already be there). I came across this recipe and it looked super simple and delicious.

I modified the recipe a bit by adding prosciutto and zucchini but generally stuck to the directions. This tart was so easy and pretty quick to make, and goodness it tasted wonderful!
The best part was I didn't have to bring the empty dish home since I used a store bought aluminum pie pan.
The possibilities are endless with this tart recipe so use your favorite veggies in place of the zucchini and squash if you wish. You could also make this in a rectangular dish and cut into squares to make them bite sized.

Zucchini and Summer Squash Tart
(Southern Living Magazine)

1 (8-ounce) can refrigerated crescent rolls
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup butter or margarine ( I omitted and used olive oil and butter spray)
1 1/2 pounds yellow squash (about 4 cups), thinly sliced*
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed ( I minced)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper 2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese ( I used 2% Italian blend)
*** I added a 1/2 cup of shopped prosciutto***

Unroll crescent rolls; press dough on bottom and up sides of a 10-inch tart pan, pressing to seal perforations.
Bake at 375° for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Gently press crust down with a wooden spoon. Spread crust with mustard, and set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 3 Tbs. olive oil and butter spray. Put onions in skillet and saute a couple minutes. Add zucchini, squash and prosciutto and saute about 5 More minutes. Add garlic and saute about a minute more. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and next 5 ingredients.
Whisk together eggs and milk in a large bowl; stir in cheese and vegetable mixture. Pour over crust.
Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish, if desired.
*1 1/2 pounds zucchini may be substituted for yellow squash.

10 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oh, using the crescent roll dough sounds wonderful! It looks so fresh and light :)

Elizabeth said...

Yummy! I love zucchini and thinks this looks so great!

Erin said...

Ooh, Ally, that looks fantastic! Seems like a perfect crowd pleaser for something like a BBQ. Hope you had a fun 4th!

That Girl said...

the crescent roll crust sounds so rich and buttery!

Anonymous said...

This looks really interesting. I bet it would be absolutely fantastic on a picnic or something.

Maryanna said...

I love the idea of savory tarts. If only I could convince DH that it's not a "chick" food.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great mix! I have tons of squash and zuch from my garden and needed a new recipe for them. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Cresent roll dough... I would have never of thunk ;)

I have new summer squash and zuchinni available from my garden. This will be a perfect recipe. Thanks!

Jaime said...

what a beautiful tart!

Maggie said...

I love the touch of mustard. I'm getting overwhelmed with zucchini and have to give that a try.