Sunday, May 18, 2008

Shredded Beef Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce

I don't know what got into me. I usually never have a craving for Mexican food, but the past couple of days I have had a taste for it. I was on The Nest (a newlywed message board) earlier today and saw that my friend Chelley had just updated her blog with enchiladas.

They looked so good that I knew I had to make them tonight. Instead of chicken I used beef and used a CI recipe as base for the recipe.

Shredded Beef Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
(based on Cook's Illustrated)

1 lb. chuck stew meat
salt, pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
flour for dredging
2 Tbs. oil
1 15oz and 1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup beef stock/broth/water
1 poblano pepper finely diced
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbs. cumin
3 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. sugar
dash of cayenne
salt and pepper
corn tortillas (I used 12)
1 1/2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese (or a cheese you prefer)
Sour cream for serving

Heat oil in a dutch oven over med. heat. Season beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge in flour shake off the excess and brown on all sides in the dutch oven. Remove with tongs and reserve on a plate. Add onions and poblanos to the pot (add more oil if needed). Saute until onions are beginning to brown (about 5 minutes). Add tomato sauce, beef stock, cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, sugar, cayenne and salt and pepper. Add beef back to pot and let simmer for an hour and a half or until beef is tender.

When beef is ready, remove and shred using two forks add chopped cilantro and mix together. Take some of the sauce and spread it around a 9 X 13 baking dish. Spray tortillas with pam and Place in a preheated 400 degree oven until warmed through.

Roll beef in tortillas and lay in baking sheet. Top with the remaining sauce and then top with shredded cheese. Bake covered for 1o minutes. Bake another 10 uncovered to get the cheese nice and bubbly.

9 comments:

Kayte said...

these look incredible ally! i loooove enchiladas!

Anonymous said...

They look fabulous Ally! Glad I could fuel your creativity :) I am going to make beef next time!

Maryanna said...

All of this looks so good! Mmmmm... Mexican!

Melissa said...

The hubs just asked me to make these!

Melissa said...

The hubs just asked me to make these! Yum!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I've been craving enchiladas lately (I don't know why) and these look like they'd hit the spot.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm those look delicious!

Elizabeth said...

Yum, these look amazing!

Jaime said...

these look so good! i have made chicken enchiladas but never beef before... maybe i'll make these w/the leftover chuck roast i have in the freezer...