Monday, April 28, 2008

Warak Enab- Stuffed Grape Leaves

It was my turn to host lunch club so I thought I'd throw together a Lebanese feast. I started with the grape leaves, since they would take the most time (If you are making 50 that is).

I swear, I could eat these everyday. There is something about the flavor, and the size that makes me eat more than I should. But, I don't feel bad because they really are not that unhealthy. I like to eat them as is, others prefer to top with some type of yogurt sauce. Either way, they are a great snack, app, or meal in itself.

Warak Enab-Stuffed Grape leaves
50 + grape leaves stemmed and rinsed
1 lb. ground lamb or beef (lean)
1 1/2 cups long grain rice uncooked
2 tsp. allspice
salt and pepper
1 tsp. coriander
dash or two of garlic powder
2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
Juice of 2 lemons (or 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup lemon juice (for pot)
3 garlic cloves chopped (for pot)
2 lemons sliced (for bottom of pot)
2 Tbs. olive oil
water to cover leaves
heavy plate
bowl of water

After stemming leaves rinse well to remove the brine. Let dry. In the meantime, prepare the filling by adding meat, rice, allspice, coriander, garlic powder,parsley, juice of lemons, salt and pepper. Mix well using hands. Take about a Tbs. of meat filling and make a little cigar. Place at the bottom of leaf and roll up like a burrito.

To prepare the pot:
Add olive oil to a large heavy pot. Lay several grape leaves (I use the ones that are broken or torn badly) on the bottom, and lay the lemon slices on top.
Arrange grape leaves in a circular pattern and then alternate layers, seam side down. Do not put to close, or to far apart. Sprinkle chopped garlic between layers. Add water, place plate on top to weight the leaves down, and add a bowl of water on top of that to add even more weight. This will prevent the leaves from coming undone. Heat water to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 45 minute. Remove carefully with tongs and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made enough for ME...now where are ones for you?? Lol!

Anonymous said...

great job with pictures of how to wrap the warak enab!