Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Kibbee Sounieh (Baked Kibbee)

So this was the star of our Lebanese feast tonight. To accompany it we had the hummus and tabouleh and I made some Lebanese rice and served it all with toasted pita bread. I have been craving kibbee for a month now, and kept putting it off. Since I was home all day I decided to make it tonight. Whenever I go to MI to visit my family, I always get to eat my favorite Lebanese foods. My Jiddy's wife LuLu (Sitti) is probably the best Lebanese chef I've ever met. She prepares food daily in a popular restaurant in St. Clair Shores Mi, so I am very lucky when she prepares it for me (us, the family loves it too!)

Here is a pic of my plate. That is the hummus in the background. I admit, I am stuffed!


This recipe is hers. I actually have it written down in a cookbook I recieved as a favor at my Aunt Monica's bridal shower. I am so happy to have it because omg, it is good stuff!
I used the food processor to make the meat nice and smooth, and I know others say to knead it. But her recipe said to use it so I did. I did knead however, when I added the bulgar. I also only used lamb for the stuffing as that is the only package Publix had left. The texture of the final product was perfect. It came out crispy on the top like I like it, and the stuffing was moist and delicious.

Kibbee Sounieh


For the Kibbee (Nayi- can be eaten raw)
1 large onion coarsley chopped
1 1/2 lbs. very lean ground lamb (or beef)
1 1/2 cups fine bulgar soaked in water for about 10 minutes (cover in about a cup of water)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. allspice

Place onions in food processor and process finely. Add meat to onions and process a couple more minutes. Water (approx. 1/2 cup) may be added to facilitate the mixing. Place mixture in a large bowl and add bulgar and seasonings. Knead mixture thoroughly with had which you can keep wet by dipping in cold water (so it won't stick).
Kibbee Nayi is served drizzled with olive oil, pita, and raw white onions.

Kibbe Stuffing (Hashwit)
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 lb. lean ground lamb or beef
1 large onion finely chopped
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. melted butter

Saute pine nuts and onions in butter. When pine nuts get toasted add meat. Cook until meat is browned all over. Keep warm.

Baked Kibbee (putting it all together)

Split Kibbee mixture (Nayi) into 2 halves. Spread the first half evenly in an 8x8 square pan greased with olive oil. Spread the stuffing evenly over the kibbee. On waxed paper spread the second half of kivvee with fingers to fit over mixture. Flip kibbee layer over top of the stuffing while matching edges. Remove wax paper and using fingers even out edges and surface of kibbee. Cut into diamonds (traditional) or squares. Make a hole in the midde and add butter over kibbee. Cook at 375 for 40-45 minutes.

8 comments:

Elly said...

One of my FAVORITES! I'm so glad you posted this, I definitely want to make it soon!

That Girl said...

I have to say, I thought I had tried every variety of medditeranean/middle eastern food there was - but I have never had this! But of course, now its on my list of things I must try!

Erin said...

Holy goodness!!! This looks delish. Would this restaurant possibly be Sahara?????

Erin said...

Ally, your blog rocks! I've given you the blogging with purpose award, check it out... http://cookingandeatinginthewindycity.blogspot.com/2008/04/blogging-with-purpose-award.html

Cara said...

Ally this looks delicious! I had no idea you were Lebanese. I love kibbe - I will definetely have to try this sometime.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love reading about the Lebanese food you make. You have so many unique dishes on your blog!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

YUM! This looks awesome!! I've never heard of this dish and now I can't wait to try it :)

Anonymous said...

You have the first blog that made me want to try making the dishes and then actually doing it. I made tabouleh and hummus (both yum) and am baking kibbee as I write, and it smells awesome!
Thank You!!
Sandra