Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bean Bacon and Vegetable Soup

This was not a recipe I planned on making tonight. Since I was a bit on the lazy side I decided to save the chicken I planned on making for another night. decided instead to throw together a quick soup. And throw it together is what I did. I knew it would start with onions. So I chopped up those. I looked in the fridge and found carrots and celery so I chopped up those too. I also minced up some garlic, and found some frozen peas.

In the pantry I found two kinds of beans and half a box of ditilini pasta, and a couple potatoes. Those went in as well. I decided it needed something else, something to give it flavor so I decided to crisp up some bacon and throw it in. I added some herbs, and spices and the rest was history. Not to shabby a soup either, matter of fact, it was delicious.

Bean Bacon and Vegetable soup

1 medium onion chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
2 medium carrots chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup frozen peas
2 potatoes (med. sized) diced
8 slices bacon cooked crisp and chopped
2 cans beans (I used cannelini and garbanzo) drained and rinsed
2 cups small pasta (I used ditilini)
8-10 cups chicken stock or broth
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbs. olive oil

In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and bay leaves. Cook until onions are soft and transluscent. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add stock, and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ally, that looks SO good and so falvorful! What a great meal!

That Girl said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who makes soup by cleaning out their pantry.

Erin said...

I need to get better at cooking without recipes. I tend to be so wimpy about making stuff on my own, but I know I could handle it if I tried. This soup looks great!