Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fettucini with Bolognese

Bolognese is one of those sauces that screams comfort food to me. What is better than a thick meaty sauce with vegetables? This isn't one of those 30 minute sauces either. It takes some time for all the flavors of this sauce to meld together. I found a recipe on Cook's Illustrated, and followed it a bit, but then did things my own way. I let it simmer for about an hour and a half, and I probably could have let it simmer longer over lower heat, but it is a weeknight, and we were hungry.

I served this with fettucini, but I think any pasta would go just fine. Don't forget some crusty bread, and of course a glass of wine to complete the meal.

Fettucini with Bolognese

1 lb. ground chuck
2 slices thick cut bacon minced
1/2 cup carrots small dice
1/2 cup onions small dice
1/2 cup celery small dice
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup crimini mushrooms chopped
2 Tbs. fresh basil chopped
2 Tbs. fresh oregano chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste (I love lots of pepper)
1 cup whole milk or half and half
1 cup merlot
2 cans diced tomatoes put in the food processor and pureed for 5 seconds
1 Tbs. tomato paste

Heat a large pot over medium high heat. When it comes to temperature, add bacon and sautee until brown. Remove from pot and discard all but 1 1/2 - 2 Tbs. rendered fat. Add carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms and saute until soft. Add ground beef and garlic. When almost completely brown drain in a strainer and return to pot.
Add fresh herbs and bay leaves and let cook a couple minutes. Add milk and let cook until almost evaporated (8-10 minutes). Add Wine and let cook until almost evaporated (8-10 min.)
finally add tomatoes and paste and stir to combine. Let cook for an hour and a half. Serve over whichever pasta you fancy, top with parmesan and enjoy!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Sooo hungry now!!!

Carrie said...

Your pasta recipes are killing me lately... WE LOVE pasta too much to avoid them!

bakingblonde said...

You and your pasta dishes!! I can't keep up with all of the goodness!
I love mixing up pasta dishes and using pasta shapes other than spaghetti every now and then!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

WOW~ I wish I could eat that for dinner RIGHT NOW! YUMMMMMM!

Brilynn said...

I made a bolognese sauce last week and turned it into lasagna, yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, sooo comforting. I'm thinking of home just looking at this wonderful dish! yum!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I've never made bolognese before but I definitely want to now!

That Girl said...

That totally looks like comfort food to me!

SaraLynn said...

This looks soooooo good!

Lore said...

I wish I could eat this every single morning and I still wouldn't get enough. I'm addicted to pasta and especially love fettucine

Jaime said...

mmmm... i agree that this is so comforting :) love a good bolognese sauce