Monday, March 10, 2008

Curried Turkey with Vegetables and Almonds

After a lovely Thanksgiving dinner yesterday at my mom's house there was quite a bit of turkey leftover. Knowing I absolutely love turkey, she bagged about 2 lbs. of it for me to take home.

Why, you ask, were we celebrating Thanksgiving in March? Well, my bday was March 2nd and because I celebrated in Nola that weekend, my family ended up celebrating it last night.
Still confused?
Whenever one of her children has a bday she makes them a birthday meal and invites family and friends over to celebrate. Whatever we want she'll make. My yearly request is to have TG dinner with all the fixen's. I love turkey and don't get to eat it that often (besides having it in a sandwich) so I figured this is one way to get the delicious roasted bird on a day that isn't realated to the pilgrims and the Mayflower.

I was going to have chicken tonight, but decided that using the turkey was a more economical choice since it probably won't be as good tomorrow. Chad was in the mood for curry so I decided to make it into a curry dish. I added some frozen veggies that I had on had and toasted up some almonds to throw in as well. Very quick and simple meal, but with a ton of flavor.


Curried Turkey with Vegetables and Almonds

1 lb. cooked turkey (or chicken)
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbs. of each: curry powder, gharam masala, chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1-2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup. plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 cup frozen veggies of your choice (I had a pea, carrot, green bean and corn blend)
Heat butter in a large skillet over med. high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and transluscent. Add garlic and cook a minute longer. Add bay leaves, ginger and spices and lemon juice. Stir to combine cooking for about a minute. Add the tomato sauce, yogurt and half and half stirring to combine. Add turkey and simmer about 15 minutes over low heat. Add toasted almonds and veggies and cook 5 minutes more. Serve over rice and garnish with fresh parsley.

5 comments:

bakingblonde said...

Ally, that looks and sounds amazing! I love flavorful food, that is one reason I love your blog. I can actually TASTE the food I prepare using your recipes! This sounds like another winner.

Erin said...

We love spicy here in our house. Can you believe I've never had curry?!? I think I'll have to give this a try!

That Girl said...

I've never had a turkey curry - but yours looks exactly how I' like it.

Jaime said...

yum! this is right up my alley and i can tell from the recipe that i would love this! i think it's so cute that you celebrate T-giving for your bday :)

Anonymous said...

Ally, you are SO darn creative! This looks great. And I LOVE spicy! Yum!