Monday, March 17, 2008

Colcannon

I've never heard of this recipe before. Don't know why, but I guess I never looked for Irish inspired foods as much as I have this past week. I knew I wanted to make a brisket for St. Patty's as well as cabbage but since Chad wouldn't eat cabbage on its own, I needed something else. When I came upon this recipe on various sites, I thought this would be a perfect way to introduce Chad to cabbage. I love the stuff and can eat it prepared almost any way (no Kim Chi for me), but combined with potatoes seemed like a winner here.

I sauteed the cabbage on it's own, and cooked the thick cut bacon separately as well. In the end I just combined everything together. Very tasty, and Chad was impressed too. : )
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Colcannon
5 medium potatoes cut into large chunks (jackets on)
2 cups cabbage shredded
1/2 cup yellow onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
3 slices thick cut bacon cooked and chopped
3 Tbs. unsalted butter divided
1/2 cup half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile heat 1 1/2 tbs. butter over med. high heat in a medium sized skillet. Add onions and cabbage and cook 10 minutes until cabbage is wilted and onions are beginning to caramelize. Add Garlic and cook about 5 minutes more. While the cabbage is cooking put bacon on small baking sheet covered with foil and cook in oven until crispy (about 15 minutes).

When Potatoes are fork tender drain and return to pot. Add half and half, the rest of the butter salt and pepper. Add the cabbage mixture, and chopped bacon and mix well.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Yum! That looks and sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of colcannon until recently either! Looks good!

Elly said...

i've never heard of this, either, but can you really go wrong with anything that has mashed potatoes and bacon? you could stir pretty much anything in there and it would still be good :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you liked colcannon. It's an easy crowd pleaser. I'm suprised it's not more poular. But yours looks great!!

~Amber~ said...

Ally, just so you know how much I love your blog, I now bestow upon you the "E for Excellent" rating.

http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/03/catch-up-time.html

Jaime said...

i've never heard of this before, either, but it looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

My family used to make something similar, but it was the Polish version -- mashed potatoes, bacon, & sauerkraut. It sounds awful but it was sooooo good.