Sunday, February 17, 2008

WC Recipe Exchange: Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

One of my favorite past times is to hang out on a message board on The Nest called "What's Cooking". It is composed of newlywed ladies from all over the U.S. as well as some other countries. They are a wonderful bunch of gals, and I have made some great relationships with quite a few of them and can't wait to meet some of them IRL this summer.

We participated in an anonymous recipe exchange and the theme was "healthy cooking". Everyone who participated sent Faye (the organizer) a recipe and she sent them out to us.
I recieved this soup recipe. I am so happy I got it, because I love, love soup. And so does Chad. The best part is that it really is so healthy. With only 280 calories, I think I can have another serving. : )

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
(source: anonymous for now)

1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice (I used Uncle Ben's Long grain and Wild, I couldn't find just wild rice in my grocery)
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
10 ounce light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

PreparationCook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Yield
8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 280(23% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 4g,mono 1g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 24.9g; CHOLESTEROL 52mg; CALCIUM 329mg; SODIUM 879mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.7g

2 comments:

Jaime said...

wow, that looks so rich and creamy, hard to believe it's healthy :)

Carrie said...

What a fantastic idea!! I tried finding the message board you were talking about. Can you email me about the recipe exchange? I would really like to be a part of that the next time you have one!