Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Quicker Gumbo

In honor of Fat Tuesday, I wanted to make a New Orleans inspired dish. Gumbo is what I was craving, but ugh, who wants to do all that work on a week night?

When I was in Nola a couple months back I happened to stumble across a product that I have doubted until tonight. Jarred Roux. I doubted it because I pride myself on cooking a roux the right way, standing over a pot stirring from anywhere to a half hour to an hour.
When I first opened the jar I was immediately turned off. It was a big brown clump surrounded by oil. Hmmmm I thought, this is going to be interesting.
I sauteed up my veggies, added the sausage and then in went the brown clump and oil. After stirring for a minute it started to come together. I added the stock, stirred again and lo and behold, gumbo was in the making. All in about 15 minutes. I'm shocked that this actually worked. Gumbo in 30-40 minutes? Yup. Impressed, hell yes. I don't know if I'll be able to find this product here in Atlanta, but it is nice to know that such a product exists.

Quick Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

2 Tbs. oil
1 medium onion diced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 green pepper diced
3 cloves garlic minced
Meat from a small rotessirie chicken (about 2 1/2 cups)
1lb andouille sausage diced
1 1/2 cups frozen sliced okra
1/2 jar Richard's Cajun Roux
8 cups chicken stock
1 Tbs. cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
2-3 dashes Worcestershire
Hot sauce to taste (I use Crystal's)
File powder to top rice
Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
Heat a big heavy pot over medium heat and add oil. When oil has heated add onion, celery and green pepper (the trinity). Saute about 5-8 minutes until onions just start to brown. Add sausage and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes more. Add roux, worcestershire, and seasonings and stir until everything is covered and smooth. Add chicken stock while stirring continuously. Add chicken bring to a boil and simmer 15-20 minutes. Add Okra the last 5 minutes. Serve with white rice, hot sauce and french bread.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

yum! i love gumbo! i love all your new orleans-inspired food... wish i could be a dinner guest at your house :)

Melissa said...

Yum!!

amanda. said...

I've got a gumbo planned this week and almost picked up a jar of roux this past weekend but I got scared that it would be gross. I may have to run back and get some now that I know it turned out good for you.

The gumbo looks awesome by the way!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Ally I'm drooling here. I LOVE gumbo. I'm so glad the jarred roux worked out so well!! I'll have to try it to save me some time (I'm always looking for good ways to do this!)

Erin said...

That gumbo looks great! I just tagged you by the way =)