Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hearty Chicken and Dumplings

After a little too much partying for Chad's surprise (no he wasn't surprised, he knew something was up) birthday party last night we were in need of a hearty home style meal. The only thing I had in the fridge were chicken legs that I bought on sale so our dinner had to incorporated those. I thought about just roasting them and making some rice and veggies as our sides but instead I decided to make chicken and dumplings (I like to say "dumplins").

I have to admit, I looked online for recipes but the only one I wanted to make was the Cooking Light version. But it was pretty complicated, and I just didn't have the energy. So I totally threw this thing together remembering bits and pieces from the recipes I viewed online. It came out so well, and I am thankful I made a huge batch that we can take to work for lunches later in the week.

Chicken and Dumplings

6 chicken legs roasted(I basted them with a butter, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper mixture before roasting), meat removed and roughly chopped (or 3 cups cooked chicken)
1 medium onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 bag of peas and carrots combo
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
3 Tbs. dripping from roasted chicken or 3 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 Tbs. flour
1/4 cup white wine
10 cups good quality chicken stock(warmed)
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs. fresh sage chopped
1 Tbs. fresh flat leafed parsley chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste

Dumpling ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
3/4 cups half and half
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. butter
In a large heavy pot heat drippings or butter over medium heat. Add onions,celery, bay leaves, thyme, sage and marjoram and saute for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add flour and stir constantly for about 3 minutes so the roux doesn't burn. Add wine and deglaze the pot scraping any bits from the bottom. Add chicken stock a couple cups at a time whisking constantly. Add the cooked chicken and the parsley and bring to a gentle boil.
Add the dumplings and cook for about 10-15 minutes longer. Add peas and carrots take off heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and serve.

Dumplings:
Sift all dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Combine half and half and butter and heat in a microwave until butter has melted. Add to flour mixture and mix together with a fork until well combined. Knead a couple of times on a floured surface until smooth (a couple of times, don't over do it). Pinch off about a Tbs. size (you can make the dumplings as big as you want them but if they are larger they may have to cook longer) and add to soup.

3 comments:

Elly said...

mmm looks comforting and delicious. my recipe is pretty similar to this too (great minds!) so i need to make it again soon!

Jaime said...

yum! definitely a good comfort food :)

~Amber~ said...

This looks wonderful Ally! I have never had dumplings before. Maybe I should give them a try.