Monday, January 14, 2008

Baked Pork Chops

Another seat-of-my-pants creation, looks like I'm on a roll here! I guess I was feeling guilty for cooking very little last week, or that I was sending Chad out to get ingredients for a recipe I just had to have, but really could do without. I am fully stocked in the pantry folks, and there really is no reason for all this running out kind of business. A lovely woman (TheBridesMom/TBM) on The Nest, a message board I frequent, really got me thinking about this. She had mentioned how this is the type of cook she is, and I admire that. I forgot how fun it was to come up with things last minute. So I vowed to tap back into my creative side and do a little of the same this week.

So I had 2 1/2" thick bone in, center cut pork chops that needed to be used in the fridge. I wanted to keep them healthy so I knew there would be no frying. I basically pan seared them and baked. I kept it really simple, but the flavor was incredible! Chad was happy too, mostly because there was no last minute ingredient request.


Baked Pork Chops
Kosher salt, fresh pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning
Flour for dredging
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs. fresh sage chopped
3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
1 small onion sliced into large chunks
1 sprig fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil a medium sized oven proof skillet over medium heat. dredge seasoned chops in flour. Transfer to skillet and sear on both sides, 3 minutes each. Add broth, sage, thyme, onion and garlic. Let come to a simmer, cover and transfer to oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until chops are tender. Serve with spinach risotto below.

0 comments: