Sunday, December 23, 2007

Turkey, Two Ways

I happened to buy these right after Thanksgiving while they were on sale. Chad wasn't so into them, so I bought him some turkey breast cutlets which were also on sale. I am a fan of dark meat on a bird, to me it has the most flavor. That doesn't mean I don't like the breast meat though, but I tend to pile more of the dark on my plate on Thanksgiving and Christmas than the white.

While eating the drumsticks tonight I kept hearing the intro to the Flintstones. You know "Flintstones, meet the Flintstones..." I really felt like Fred, er, Wilma eating these monster turkey legs. But they were so good. I mean really good, like I want to go and buy a whole bunch while they are on sale and freeze. I can think of a gazillion recipes I could make with them.
For the breasts I just sauteed them in a pan, finished them in the toaster oven and made a simple pan sauce. They came out so tender and juicy, and the sauce was a perfect compliment with the fresh herbs I used. If you happen to see turkey parts on sale (That sounds kind of gross but you get my drift) you've got to pick some up. It makes a really nice meal even when it isn't a holiday.

Roasted Turkey Legs
2-3 Lbs. Turkey legs (3 legs)
Fresh herbs, 1 Tbs. of each chopped fine: Sage, rosemary, thyme
2 Tbs. butter softened
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 cup chicken stock or broth

Preheat oven to 350
Season legs well with salt and pepper. Combine fresh herbs and butter until well mixed. Cut a couple of small slits in turkey legs under the skin. Massage Turkey legs with butter mixture making sure to get under skin. Put into a small roasting pan or large oven proof skillet. Pour chicken stock into pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast one hour, and uncover. Cook another 1/2 hour or until skin is nicely browned.

Turkey Breasts with Pan Sauce
1 lb. boneless, skinless turkey breasts
1 Tbs. combined chopped fresh sage, thyme and rosemary
Salt pepper and garlic powder for seasoning
olive oil
tsp. flour
water

Season turkey with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and herbs. Heat oil in a large skillet over med. heat. Cook 5 minutes per side (for 1" thick less time for thinner cuts). Transfer to 350 degree oven and cook for 5-10 minutes longer until temp. reaches 175. While the turkey is finishing in the oven deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup white wine, and add 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Combine water and flour in a small dish and mix together thoroughly. Add to pan whisking constantly. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve over turkey.

1 comments:

Jaime said...

wow, those are some huge turkey legs!!! i'm with chad, i much prefer the white meat of of a chicken breast! both versions look great in the photos :)