Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Good 'Ol Alton Recipe


Being pressed for time this evening because we had an advent service to attend, Chad elected to make dinner. He had a pretty early day, well a little earlier than mine. I had picked up some cubed steaks at Publix because they were so darn cheap. I think I've only made cube steak once. And it was horribly tough. But I bought these steaks anyway because I remembered an episode I saw on Good Eats where Alton made a "Country Style Steak" using cube steak. They looked so tender on the show, I wanted to try the recipe. And this was the perfect night. Since Chad was coming home earlier than I, he could get them started and let it cook slow in the oven for 2 hours. When they were finished I removed the steaks and made a gravy from the juices.
The result was very yummy, but I think something else could have been added. I'm still on the fence about what though. I madI served this with Trader Joe's harves grains and roasted asparagus.

Country Style Steak an Alton Recipe

  • 2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings (is it sad I had bacon drippings saved, lol)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge in the flour again and set aside.
Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.
Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the chicken broth and thyme and whisk until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.

The Asparagus

  • Handful asparagus
  • olive oil for tossing
  • salt and pepper

Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes (longer if they are thick). So simple but very delicious!

3 comments:

Renea said...

Mmm, I love cubed steak but haven't had it in years. The one time I made it, it turned out good though. Yours looks great!

Elly said...

mmm bacon fat makes the world a better place.

Tessa said...

My husband totally loved this dish last night. He is so happy that now I'm actually adding some new stuff to our meals.