Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Milanesa and Parmesan Pesto Potatoes

So I'm still not feeling 100%, but I needed to prepare something for dinner. I defrosted the thin sliced bottom round I had in the freezer and that was about as far as I got with dinner ideas for next day's meal last night. I still wasn't sure about what to make until about 6:30 pm tonight, which is usually when I almost finished cooking dinner.

I decided I would make a childhood favorite of mine, milanesa. It is a very popular way to prepare meat in Argentina, and having a father from Argentina, I would eat this a few times a month when I was a kid. It is very similar to a weiner schnitzel. Don't be concerned with this cut of meat being tough, because it is sliced so thin that somehow it has tons of flavor and is not chewy. For a side I made parmesan pesto potatoes, a dish you don't really have to put a lot of effort into. When I was younger my mom always made homemade french fries with the milanesa. But because I was already frying the meat, I thought I would cut down on the grease.

Milanesa
  • 1 lb thin cut bottom or top round seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder on both sides.
  • flour for dredging
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • seasoned bread crumbs preferably home made
  • oil for frying
Preheat oil in a large skillet. Dredge meat in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Fry until golden on both sides.

Parmesan Pesto Potatoes

  • 4-5 medium sized red potatoes
  • 1/2 cup pesto (recipe follows)
  • 2 tbs. parmesan
  • salt and pepper
preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice potatoes into small pieces and put into a medium sized bowl. Pour pesto over the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the parmesan. Mix until well coated. Line a baking sheet with foil, and bake 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy.

Pesto
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 Tbs. pine nuts
Put basil, parsley, pine nuts and garlic into a food processor. Pulse a few times and then turn on low and drizzle olive oil through the feeder. Let process for about 30-45 seconds until smooth.

1 comments:

ashley said...

these potatoes look ridiculously good!