Monday, October 29, 2007

Hello Fall!

The weather sure has changed the past week. We now are fully into fall with cold mornings and mildly brisk afternoons. With that in mind, I set out to prepare a real fallish type meal fro this evening.

I picked up a butternut squash a few days ago, thinking of making a soup with it. Instead I decided to make a risotto. I was rolling the dice with this recipe because Chad isn't one to eat the squash type foods. After roasting the squash I spotted crimini mushrooms in the fridge. What the hell, right? I added those in the risotto as well.
For the main dish I needed to use up some chicken I had already defrosted a couple days ago. I didn't want plain 'ol grilled either. I was in the need for another fall staple. As I browsed through the pantry I spied some walnut pieces. Perfect. Walnut Crusted Chicken. Yum!
Very fulfilled with our meal tonight, (yes the husband ate the entire serving of risotto!) We sat back and enjoyed the rest of the evening watching the colorful fall leaves drop from the trees in our back yard. Okay, you got me. We just relaxed on the couch and watched Heroes. : )

Walnut and Panko Crusted Chicken Breast
  • 1 1/2 lbs. chicken (I had 3 breasts) pounded to 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 1/2 cup walnut pieces smashed
  • 1 1/2 panko
  • 2 tsp. rosemary
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • flour for dredging
  • 1/3 cup oil for frying
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary. On a plate mix together the walnuts and panko. Dredge chicken in flour, then egg, and finally the walnut mixture. Heat oil in a med. sized skillet and fry chicken for a few minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Butternut Squash and Crimini Risotto
Heat oven to 350
1 med. sized butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lbs.) cut in half and seeds and string removed
Drizzle olive oil over squash and sprinkle with salt. Cook on a baking sheet for about 45-50 minutes flesh side up. When finished roasting remove flesh and mash slightly.
  • 2 cups short grain rice
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic minced
    2 tsp. herbes de provence
    4 Tbs. unsalted butter
    2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
    1 tsp. fresh pepper
    1/2 cup white wine
  • 6-7 cups chicken broth (I used 3 cans) kept heated in a sauce pan over low heat
  • 1 Tbs. heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add mushrooms, onions and squash. Cook until onions are soft, add garlic and cook a couple minutes more. Add herbes de provence and rice. Cook a few minutes and add wine. Let the wine deglaze and evaporate and start adding broth 2 ladles at a time until the last is just about evaporated. Add cream and parmesan and cook about 3-5 minutes more.

5 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Looks so good. What a great use for squash!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! That chicken looks so good!

Brittany said...

Yum! I have only had rissoto once, and I didn't make it. But you are inspiring me to try.

bakingblonde said...

This is some of the best tasting and juciest chicken I have made!!