Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Take on a Club Sandwich w/ a side of Bulgar Salad

A little while ago I got a recipe for pepperoni bread from Amber. After making a few modifications I made a sort of pizza bread using the basic steps for the pepperoni bread. Well after that night I vowed to do some experimenting since the bread was so easy and fool proof.
Tonight I decided to make a baked club sandwich. I went to the grocery store bought a few slices of various deli meats and cheeses rolled it up and YUM.
For a lighter side full of veggies I made a bean and bulgar salad with a garlic and parsley vinaigrette. I love bulgar. In salads, kibby, as a pilaf you name it. It is up there with barley and quinoa for me. Chad wasn't thrilled with the salad. He was too busy funneling the bread into his mouth, lol.

Baked Club Sandwich

  • 1 frozen bread loaf defrosted
  • 6 slices of each deli meat: turkey, ham, roast beef(or 18 slices of your favorite meats)
  • 9 slices of muenster cheese
  • shredded cheddar (about a cup and a half)
  • melted butter for brushing the top
  • italian herbs to sprinkle on top of the loaf

Roll out dough until it is a big rectangle (sorry I don't have dimensions). Layer the meats and cheeses how you please on one side and roll up. Baste the top with butter and sprinkle with dried herbs. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Bean and Bulgar Salad

  • 1/2 cup fine bulgar
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup diced orange pepper
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion
  • 1/2 cup black beans and garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup grape tomatoes halved
  • 2 handfuls lettuce mix (I used italian blend)
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
Boil chicken stock and add to bulgar that has been placed in a big bow. Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
Saute onion and orange pepper in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes just until the onion is translucent. Add beans and saute 3 minutes more. Add the onion mixture, tomatoes and lettuce to bowl and toss. Garlic Parsley Vinaigrette

  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbs. dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup evoo
  • pinch of sugar
  • pinch of salt

Put everything in processor and pulse until everything is coarsely chopped. Turn processor on low and drizzle in the evoo. Serve over bulgar salad and toss.

Here is a close up of the yummy goodness I enjoyed this evening!

4 comments:

Renea said...

Mmm looks cheesy and delicious!

Jessica said...

This looks really good! Super easy for a weeknight too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I never saw this in your BU's! This is SUCH a great idea! DH would gobble it up!!

~Amber~ said...

Looks wonderful!!! Great job Ally.