Sunday, August 5, 2007

Simmering Sausage



For our dinner tonight I decided to use the last pack of Rinaldi sausage I had. This is my FAVORITE brand of Italian sausage. It has no fennel seeds (which I hate) and has the most wonderful flavor. I can't find it anywhere in GA, so When my father visits me from MI, or vice versa I make sure to bring back as much as I can. My favorite place to buy it is at Nino Salvaggio a wonderful little market near his home. I also used up the last of the peppers I had in the freezer that I had left over from a bbq. It was so nice to not have to chop those since I had to do some prep for the other herbs and veggies.


Simmering Sausage and Vegetables

  • 1 lb Italian sausage sliced
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped peppers (mine were in 1/2 strips)
  • 1/2 red onion sliced
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 1 carrot peeled and sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 Tbs. Fresh basil chopped
  • 2 Tbs. fresh parsley chopped
  • 1 Tbs. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more for added heat)
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans drained and rinsed.

Heat oil in a large saute pan and add all vegetables except garlic. Let saute until vegetables are almost caramelized (about 5-8 minutes). Add sausage, garlic, fresh and dried herbs and cook until sausage is browned on all sides (about 3-5 minutes). Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beans and chicken stock. Stir together to combine and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until sauce is reduced and thick. Serve over white rice or pasta.


  • Garlic Toast
    Cut french bread into rounds drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and fresh Parmesan cheese. Toast in oven until browned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about Rinaldi Sausage. It's my fathers company and he takes great pride in what he has made over the last 25 or so years. I'll be sure to try out your "Simmering Sausage".

Anonymous said...

You definitely hit the nail on the head! Rinaldi's is THE BEST sausage you can get. It is the only brand my family and my wife's family uses here in the Detroit area. I will try this recipe out very soon, as it looks and sounds like it is right up my alley!