Saturday, August 25, 2007

Potato and Shallot Tortilla

When I was a girl, my Papa used to make this for us on weekends. He is from Argentina, and he used to eat this when he was a boy. He learned how to make tortilla from his father, my Giddy. We call Giddi ( Jaad-di or Jeddi arabic for Grandfather) the "King of Tortillas" since nobody can cook a tortilla like him. He makes a few variations of it, and my favorite is zucchini.
I had a few yukon gold potatos that needed to be used up, and Chad and I were hungry for breakfast. We are not a big egg eaters. In fact, the only time we do eat eggs is if I make a tortilla.
I used shallots in this tortilla instead of onion because I ran out of onions with last night's dinner.

The tricky part to a tortilla is the flip so a non-stick skillet is necessary. You'll also need a large plate to fit over the skillet to flip the tortilla.

Ingredients:

  • 3 Yukon gold potatoes peeled, and sliced into thin half moons
  • 1 large shallot (or 1/2 onion) finely chopped
  • 6 eggs
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Heat the medium sized skillet over med. to med. low heat. Add potatoes and onion and let cook until potatoes are soft DO NOT FRY! You do not want crispy potatoes, so be careful with the heat and amount of oil. You don't want too much oil either, just enough for the potatos to be partially covered but not completely.


When potatoes are soft, remove with slotted spoon and let cool. Pour off all oil into a container except for about a Tbs. Beat eggs and add cooled potatoes. Let rest for a few minutes. Heat skillet over med heat and add egg potato mixture.

Let cook through, and flip to let the other side brown.

If the egg isn't cooking through you can set oven safe skillet under a broiler for a few minutes then take out and flip.

You can serve immediately, or eat later when cooled (that is how I like it!)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks awesome! My grandma makes something very similar, so I'm going to have to give this a try.

Great pictures, by the way!

Elly said...

oh YUM! That looks SO good. I definitely have to try it.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am not a big egg eater myself and usually have them only in egg salad or quiche. A tortilla sounds and looks like something I would love!!!

bakingblonde said...

I made this this morning and it was AWESOME! I added some red and green peppers and topped with cheese. It was a great Sunday breakfast and would be great for company as well.