Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to School Steak and Pesto

After a relaxing 2 months off, it was back to school for me and I wanted something special for dinner tonight. I had some Omaha Rib eye Steaks defrosted in the fridge just for that reason. I really love steaks on the grill, but we are not allowed to grill since we live in a complex. In the method below I have found that it is super easy, and just as tasty to cook steaks indoors.
I decided to pair the steaks with rice. But I didn't want just plain old rice so I decided to use the bountiful basil I have growing on the balcony (that's why you see basil in my recipes so often) so I decided to make a pesto. But that wasn't enough. I wanted more, so I decided to make a basil cream sauce. But wait, what was I going to do with the 3 or so tablespoons of crumbled Gorgonzola I had in the fridge??? Yup, I made a Pesto Gorgonzola cream sauce to drizzle over our steaks and rice. I garnished with sweet rape tomatoes and called it dinner.
What a perfect finale to the end of my summer vacation!

Rice

I used 1 1/3 cups of short grain rice
2 2/3 cup chicken stock
1 tbs. olive oil

heat olive oil in medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. add rice and saute for one minute. Add stock and bring to a boil. cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.


*My amounts are approximate in the recipe below*
Basic Pesto
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
3 table spoons Parmesan
Fresh ground pepper
Kosher salt

Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside. (I only used about 3 tablespoons of the pesto, I had about a 1/4 cup leftover)

Cream Sauce
2 Tbs. Unsalted butter
1 1/2 flour
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 Tbs. Parmesan
3 Tbs. crumbled Gorgonzola

Melt butter over medium low heat in a small sauce pan. Add flour and whisk for one minute until smooth. Slowly add half and half and whisk until completely incorporated. bring to a simmer and let simmer for a couple minutes. Take off heat and whisk in Parmesan and Gorgonzola. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of Pesto and combine.
(since I drizzled the sauce over the rice and steak I had a lot left over. I'll save for another dish later.)

Steak
2 1/2 inch rib eye steak brought to room temperature
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 500 and turn dial to broil (rack is about 8" from heat source). Season steaks liberally. While oven is heating brush grill pan generously with olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Sear steaks on both sides for one minute. Transfer the grill pan to the oven and cook steaks 2-3 minutes per side.

1 comments:

Caroline said...

That looks incredible! I love fresh basil and gorgonzola...will definitely have to try this recipe soon. I also love this blog--it always makes me drool :)